Sunday 13 November 2016

CAROL: AN 18 OLD WHO LOOKS LIKE 10 YEAR OLD GIRL


As I was handling a sickle cell answer and question session yesterday at our sickle cell outreach in Busia a young girl seated two benches away from where I was standing looked older than her size. The lady sitting in front of her was asking many reproductive health questions. My instincts told me she was asking on behalf of another person.
After the session I asked to have a one on one with the young girl. Lucky enough she had come with her mother.

Caroline Taaka is an 18 year old lady but she looks like a 10 year old girl. She is in primary six. Girls of her age are supposed to be Senior Six preparing to join University next year in August.
Caroline is one of those people with sickle cell disease who are gravely affected by delayed growth. A number of her fellow students and people from her village always ask her why does she look young than her little siblings. I asked how does she respond to them. She confidently said "Its God who made me the way I am that's what I answer them"

Though she is faced with challenge of defending herself, Carol is a confident lady.



No comments:

Post a Comment